Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Gone To Soon.....(private post please respect)

This is an EXTREMELY PERSONAL POST that Landon and I have decided to share with our friends and family. We would like to keep this somewhat private and we feel like we are really going out on a limb with sharing something so personal. Please do not “share”, borrow, or re post this journal entry and pictures.

I’ve struggled for the last year of whether or not to post our little angel Brylee Stella’s story. Not only a story but a memory that runs through my head over and over will every day; that I’m sure for the rest of our lives. Some days it still doesn’t seem real. How do you carry a perfect baby girl for nine months, but not get to take her home? Pregnancy is such a blessing and struggle. I say a struggle and a blessing not only because of nursing school (which was so hard while being 8 months preg), but because we had waited and prepared for Brylee for a very very long time. It took us a very long time to get pregnant with Brylee. A year and seven months long. So we felt truly blessed when we found out we were pregnant with this sweet angel. Many days I really miss it. It was more of a comfort to me. At least when she was still in my belly I knew she was alive and safe. Looking back now there were a couple “warning signs” that you wouldn’t think of till after. I went into labor (or just started contracting severely) 3 times starting at 33ish weeks. I was given medication to stop them. Now looking back I truly believe it was my body saying something is not right, she needs to be born. It just makes you wonder if Brylee would be with us now if only we were able to have her early. We just can’t dwell on what could have been anymore. I feel now is time that I share what really happened hopefully it will help Landon and I move on. I really hope it’ll take a huge weight that has been on my chest.
This is last picture of my happy little family before our tragedy....





I was 37 weeks and 5 days pregnant when we visited our sweet Doctor Cruz I was dilated to a 4-75% effaced we had a plan that Brylee Stella was to be born Monday the 17th, 2011 by an induction, if I had not gone into labor that weekend. Everything was ready that possibly could be. We had the bag packed, a spotless home, diapers, cloths, binkies, blankets, and the car seat all hooked up and ready to hall our precious baby girl home. Mom thankfully decided to come up Saturday just to make sure everything was ready to go. I had just not felt well and lay around all day. Until about an hour before my mom arrived. Landon convinced me to shower and get ready he was going to take us to the movie when my mom got to Powell. I had started contracting about every 10-12 minutes while getting ready, but it was so common by then I just ignored the pain. Mom arrived YAY! We headed to Cody for dinner and to see the movie True Grit, which I actually enjoyed between the contractions now coming every seven minutes. After the movie we decided to walk around Wal-Mart (literally the only thing in Cody). We bought some treats and movies. I remember telling Landon I really think she’s coming tonight. We went home where Mom and I crocheted around receiving blankets, burp cloths, and bibs that mom had brought. We had told Landon to go to bed to get some rest just in case I decided we needed to go. The contractions were coming closer and closer together. I remember texting Dad and him saying Shauna don’t wait too long. My nursing perspective was oh labor at home. It’ll be ok. Well at 2:00 a.m. I decided it was time. I woke up Landon he was a MESS running all over the place. We were both So Excited! We finally left at 2:30 the contraction were only about 2-3 minutes apart. Landon made fun of me the whole way to Cody. I was fixing my hair and makeup. Many of you that know me wouldn’t find this surprising, but it did help to take my mind of the contractions.


We got to the hospital, was all checked in, and taken to our room where we’d welcome our little one to the world. Our nurse checked me and really had not progressed, which was so upsetting. I just couldn’t figure out why I was contracting so bad so often and not dilating? The Nurse decided to print out a couple strips of contractions to show Doctor Cruz. Not too long after the baby’s heat rate was not looking to good. Another nurse rushed in and put an IV in my hand. Right after Doctor Cruz came and checked me. Since I was not progressing and Brylee’s heart rate was terrible we decided an emergent C-section should take place. The baby’s heart rate looked even worse and Doctor Cruz did a very fast Ultra Sound where the baby’s heart rate was either extremely bad or was not showing at all, because right after it was a crazy rush. Next thing I know the nurses and Landon were pushing back into a really bright room. I remember looking up at Landon when were going through the double doors. He couldn’t go any further. Landon told me he loved me, and Brylee kicked me really hard right then as if she was telling us goodbye. I was transferred to another bed. I felt overwhelmed it was seriously a mad house. Nurses were running everywhere not finding what they needed. Doctor Cruz put several shots of lidocaine I believe in the bottom of my stomach, and she began cutting. It was the worst pain I’ve ever had in my entire life. I remember her making 3 slits when I really just couldn’t handle it anymore. I hate myself and always will for not being able to take the pain. It seemed like an eternity when the anesthesiologist finally arrived, and knocked me out… When they finally woke me up I looked up to see Landon crying saying she didn’t make it. I totally lost it.
Brylee Stella Harris
Was born January 16, 2011
In Cody, Wyoming at the West Park Hospital
At 4:50 a.m. weighing 7lbs 2 ½ ounces
19 ½ inches long


Brylee’s cord had wrapped around her neck and tightened during her decent down the birth canal cutting off her oxygen supply. A few weeks later we also found out that I had a stage 3 placental infection.

The nurse brought Landon and I this beautiful little angel; a little baby girl that looked just like me. She looked as if she was just sleeping so peacefully. Brylee was so tiny with blonde hair on the top of her head that got darker as it went down. Landon and I held her so tightly that I had forgotten how much pain I was in for the C-section. We just starred at her. Memorizing her little body too never forget this precious child that we had made together that was taken to soon.





27 comments:

Natalie said...

Shauna, a year later my heart still aches for you! I LOVE your sweet family pictures. You and Landon are so strong to have made it through such a heartache. She is a BEAUTIFUL baby and I agree that she does look like her mommy. Once again I am SO GRATEFUL for a plan that allows us to have those we love for all eternity! Love you!! Thank you for the example of strength and faith you have set for all of us!

Morrows said...

Thank you for sharing your story! I think of you so often and can't even imagine how you feel! You are such a great example to us all! She was so perfect all she needed was to come to earth for a body! She is beautiful! Yes she looks like you!
I can't even begin to imagine the heartache you have experienced! I'm so glad there is life after death so we can spent time and all eternity with our loved ones forever!
I love those family pictures!

Nichole said...

Shauna my heart aches for you. I am so sorry that you guys had to go through all that. It is true that we can be glad to have a plan for us to see our loved ones again. But I know it is hard now. She is such a beauty. We love you guys. Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Love you guys and think of you often. I know you two are taking good care of each other and are helping each other heal. Your story is very touching and heart felt. I look forward to seeing what is in store next for you. Much love, and take care. Deb Jacobs

Cole and Amanda said...

She is so beautiful. Cole and I both have thought of you and Landon this past year and keep you in our prayers. You both are so strong and have accomplished so much. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Natalie♥ said...

You are such a sweetheart for sharing your story with us. You are amazing!! Your sweet little angel is beautiful and I know she is with you always. I hope you continue blogging, I love to read your posts. You are so strong and so beautiful.

Camille Heidbrink said...

oh Shauna! I'm so glad you shared with all of us. I feel so bad you had to go through all of this. I hope you are doing well!! It just makes me so much more grateful for everything the savior did for us so we can be with our Family again and Forever :) Love you!

Troy and Brit said...

Shauna, thank you for posting your sweet family pictures and Brylee's story. You and Landon are wonderful people and great examples of strength. I love you and think of you often!

Jennifer said...

Shauna and Landon,
Thanks for sharing your special story. I still wish that I had been more brave on the roads to be able to attend her services. I love your family lots! You guys will always have a special place in our hearts! If it wasn't for your mom and dad I wouldn't have my family. I am amazed by your strength. Your guys are a great example.

Love,
Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Shauna-
What a special post! You guys are truly amazing and Brylee was sooo perfect! You are a picture of strength and faith! Think of you all often!
Love-
Sam and Missy Gernhart

Anonymous said...

Shauna, I think of you & Landon often. Your little girl is so beautiful :) you are amazing and strong and such a good example for all of us. Lots of love and prayers! I miss your happy faces!

Love,
Heather allred

The Butler Family said...

We love you Shauna and Landon! I think of you guys everyday, you are so amazing. I look up to you guys and all of your strength, and faith. I am very greatful for the church and all that Christ did for us that we may live again and be united with our families. lots of love, Austin and Sheri

Randi Oswald said...

Thank you so much for sharing your story!! She is absolutely beautiful!! I'm sorry for what you went through but I'm so thankful for the gospel and for being able to know that you will be with her again someday! She is your sweet angel watching over and protecting you! Stay strong!

Cameron and Melissa Johansson said...

Thanks so much for sharing your story. She is so beautiful and so sweet. Your family pictures are so precious. I cannot even imagine what you guys have gone through or feel. You guys are such a great exampl to us all. Thank goodness for the gospel and it's doctrine!

Jessie said...

I'm glad you were ready enough to write this. I hope it has helped a little. I am always thinking of you and Landon. (and little Brylee too :) )

Kelly and Camille said...

Landon and Shauna, I know it is hard to share your story and your feelings, but I truly believe that by writing it down, it helps you to heal. To get it out. You two are an inspiration to others, many you may never know about. I know you can drive yourself crazy with the "what ifs" in life, but we must believe that our loving Heavenly Father has a plan for all of us and we must trust in him. Thank you for letting us share your grief. Love you!

Abe n Linz said...

You're an amazing woman and I am so sorry you and Landon had to go through this. I can't even fathom how you feel.
She is so precious and beautiful! How wonderful the gospel is and the knowledge you have of eternal families. It will be a great reunion when you see her again!!

Rhonda said...

Shauna,
you don't know me but I went to school with your mom and dad. Shane and I were good friends and (skipped)classes often. I remember how excited he was when they were expecting you. My heart goes out to you and Landon. I lost a son at 22 weeks. You and Landon are in my prayers even though you do not know me. Your sweet daughter is so beautiful. I wish you nothing but the best for your future.

bEx said...

I love you guys and thanks for sharing the full story.

Nate, Kelsie, and Luke said...

Thanks for sharing. She is beautiful and so are you!

Anonymous said...

I think of you often shauna! I have always looked at you as this special daughter of our heavenly father! I would always get excited when I would see you stand on fast and testimony meeting, you could feel the love you have for your heavenly father. Brylee is so lucky to have you as her mom forever! Thank you for sharing!

Brady & Kelsey said...

Shauna, you are an amazing woman and I am sincerely sorry for the short time with your sweet little girl. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

-Kelsey

The Bensons said...

Landon and Shauna, I can't tell you how strong and courageous I think you are to share such a touching story. I have a sister-in-law that went through the same thing and she told me that it was one of the hardest, yet most spiritual moments she's ever experienced. Birth and death are two of the most spiritual things we experience in this life and I can't imagine what that must have felt like. You two are often in my thoughts and prayers and I truly admire you both.

The Richardsons said...

Shauna, though we only knew you through Kyle & Gretchen and the fact that you were a year ahead of Brandon in the nursing program, I am so touched to have read your experience. We know what it's like to lose a child, and nothing anyone every says will make the pain easier to manage. Your daughter is still so beautiful and will always be watching down on you and Landon. I hope you can take solace in the knowledge that you will have the opportunity to raise your sweet little girl in a world where no harm can come to her. Remember: once a mommy, always a mommy! Best wishes and lots of love from the Richardsons!

Natalie said...

Dear Landon and Shauna, What a beautiful touching sharing of a difficult life changing experience. What a blessing to know you have a little Angel watching over you for the rest of your lives. Love and Prayers to you, Love, Natalie Jenkins (Melissa's Mom)

Lauren Olsen said...

As a mother who has gone through the pain and unexplainable fear of seeing your baby's heart rate almost non existant and being out of your mind not being able to be awake when they take your angel, I understand some of the pain you have endured. It is such a blessing that you have the gospel in your life, and so important to hold on to the plan of salvation. Never forget that you will be with your darling girl again. I believe some of Heavenly Father's spirits are just too perfect to stay in this world but must come to recieve their body. It takes a truly amazing person to go through and survive what you have had to, and I admire you for your strength.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Shauna and Landon. I was looking up past classmates up on FB, and stumbled upon this sweet blog. You two are so sweet and wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing this experience. I feel like an intruder, but it gave me such a sense of peace and love on a day when I thought things were pretty darn bad. It reminded me that heavenly father loves us all. That the experineces and trials He sends us are there to draw us nearer and teach us His love. Thank you for your sweet example, and for letting a practical stranger share in your little piece of heaven. -Dana Johnson Anderson